Any handgun owner knows that even compact guns can be expensive. A Glock 19, for example, can easily cost over $500. Investing in a good small gun safe to store your firearm when you are not carrying is always a good idea.
Having your firearm safely locked away will also keep it from falling into the wrong hands. Kids are curious, and if they handle a weapon they can easily cause an accident. But this could not only happen to a child; any meddling adult could end up misfiring your firearm, and as the owner, you will always be responsible.
Best Small Gun Safes
GunVault NV200 NanoVault 200 with Key Lock
The NV200 will fit discreetly in a briefcase or bag and is small enough to slide under a car seat. Built from 18-gauge steel, it has a thick memory foam interior to protect your weapon and keep it from sliding. A 1,500lb tested security cable is included to secure your safe to any fixed object.
This safe meets TSA airline firearm guidelines; perfect for the carrier who travels frequently. It has a key lock mechanism, and a set of two keys is included.
- Easy to operate lock system
- Backed by Gun Vault’s exclusive 5-year full warranty for fire and burglary
- Slim, durable, and highly protective
- Can easily fit a Colt Defender 9mm or similar firearms
- Not approved by CA DOJ
SnapSafe Lockbox with Key Lock for Handgun Storage
This safe measure 9.5” x 6.5” x 1.75” and weighs 2 pounds. It can fit under a car seat, but it you’re more of a motorcycle kind of guy, it will fit into your saddlebag with no problems.
Made from 16-gauge steel, it is stronger than many pricier safes. The SnapSafe is sturdy and well-built, and its interior top and bottom are lined with 1/2” memory foam. It meets the TSA firearm guidelines and, unlike many similar safes, this one is also CA DOJ certified.
A couple of keys are included to operate the key lock system. It also includes a 1,500 lbs. tested security cable.
- Can easily fit a Smith & Wesson SD9VE with one spare mag
- Heavy-duty steel construction
- Meets CA DOJ standards
- You should consider upgrading the steel cable that is supplied with this safe
GunVault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe
The Microvault is a portable, quick-access pistol safe. Its notebook-style design is set for easy and secure portability, allowing you to take your handgun or valuables with you. It is constructed from 20-gauge steel to give you top security on the outside.
A soft interior foam on the inside protects your valuables from damage and helps prevent rattling. The high-strength lock will perform reliably time after time, and the precise fittings make it almost impossible to pry open the safe with hand tools.
The MV5000-STD has both a key override mechanism and a keypad. You can get audible feedback from the keys when they are pressed, or you can disable this feature to have stealth access to your firearm. The built-in computer will block the unit after repeated invalid keypad entries to stop unwanted users trying to access your safe’s code. A led will start to flash to alert you that the unit was tampered with when you were gone. It will also let you know when the safe’s 9-volt battery is reaching low levels and needs to be replaced.
The safe includes a 4ft. security cable and a key. It is California DOJ-approved.
- Easy to program and easy to use keypad
- Quick access to your weapon or valuables
- Interior dimensions: 10 ¾” by 6 ½” by 2”. Can fit a Ruger SR40
- Rock-solid heavy-gauge steel construction
- Lid does not have a spring or strut to keep it open
- Lighted keypad would be a welcomed feature
SentrySafe PP1K Portable Safe with key lock & tether cord
The PP1K has a durable steel body for reliable protection. The pry-resistant door design protects the valuables against theft. The 3-point locking system driven by a high-security tubular key gives you access to the safe’s interior, which measures 3.0 in x 9.8 in x 6.1 in and is lined with high-compression high-density foam which secures your firearm during transit.
The safe includes a heavy-duty steel cable which can be attached to either side of the safe.
- Pry resistant top lid design
- Steel body with padded foam interior
- Can carry a 357 revolver with a 4” barrel
- Heavier than similar safes; weighs 6.5 pounds
- Cable must be held in place while closing the lid and locking the safe
- Cable is short, approx. 30 inches long
First Alert 5200DF Portable Handgun or Pistol Safe
Constructed of 18-gauge steel with a black powder-coat finish, this safe can be opened by using one of the two included override keys or with the keypad. The keypad can be programmed with a code consisting of four to eight numbers and will block the safe after several attempts to open it with a wrong passcode. A red led will blink to alert you that the unit has been tampered with.
The door lock mechanism has a spring-loaded lid to provide quick access to the contents. The interior is padded with foam and measures 9.0″L x 10.9″W x 3.3″H, enough to fit a Gen4 Glock 41 or a Glock 17.
The 5200DF safe includes a 1,500-lb. test steel cable. To secure the safe all that needs to be done is to wrap the cable around a fixed object, like a table leg or car seat frame and loop one end through the other to tighten around the object. The other end of the cable goes in the notch on the side of the safe. Once the lid is closed, the cable can’t be removed.
The safe can also be attached to a flat surface, like a floor or a shelf, since it has pre-drilled mounting holes.
- Keypad’s combination is easy to program
- Approved by the California Department of Justice
- Compact enough to fit in a drawer
- 5-year warranty
- Low-battery life, although this seems to be caused by frequently leaving the unit inside a hot vehicle
- Does not have a strut to keep the lid open